Working without a Work Visa in Wisconsin - Wisconsin Immigration Lawyer

If you come to the United States to work, you must have the appropriate visa; without one, you risk being removed from the country. Obtaining a work visa isn’t extremely difficult, but it can be a lengthy process that requires in-depth paperwork. Errors on your paperwork can result in delayed processing, which can extend the process by several months (or, in extreme cases, years). For most people, working with a Wisconsin immigration lawyer can make applying for the right visa much easier.

The Simplest Solution

When you come to the U.S. with the intentions of working, it’s always best to get the appropriate visa. Those available include:

  • Person in Specialty Occupation (H-1B). This visa requires a higher education degree (or its equivalent).
  • Temporary Agricultural Worker (H-2A). This visa is only available to citizens or nationals of specific countries.
  • Temporary Non-Agricultural Worker (H-2B). Like H-2A, this visa is only available to people from specific countries.
  • Intracompany Transferee (L). If you are being transferred to work at a U.S. branch of the company you’ve worked for, for at least one continuous year within the last three years, you’ll need an Intracompany Transferee visa.

There are several other categories that apply to some people, including athletes, artists, and participants in international cultural exchange programs. Because the categories can be a little confusing, it may be in your best interest to check with an immigration attorney to see which type of visa you will need to be eligible to work in the U.S.

Working Without a Work Visa

If you’re caught working without the appropriate visa, you could be setting yourself up for a one-way ticket out of the country. It’s a good idea to talk to a Milwaukee immigration lawyer if you’re in hot water with immigration officials for working illegally; he or she may be able to help you explain your case and will be able to fight on your behalf.