Working in the U.S. as a Temporary, Non-Immigrant Worker - Wisconsin Immigration Lawyers

By Carlos Gamino

Many skilled workers come to the U.S. temporarily, and in some cases, their spouses and children can come along after applying and being approved for a visa. One of the most commonly used temporary worker categories is the H-1B classification (H-1B1 and H-1B2, specifically), but there are a number of other categories.

About H-1B Visas

There are three subcategories of H-1B visas that allow people in specialty occupations to work in the U.S.: H-1B1, H-1B2, and H-1B3.

The H-1B1 visa is for Free Trade Agreement workers in specialty occupations that come from Chile and Singapore.

The H-1B2 visa is for people with specialty occupations from any nation when those occupations are related to Department of Defense cooperative research and development projects or co-production projects.

The H-1B3 visa is designed for fashion models of “distinguished merit and ability.”

Other Nonimmigrant Visa Types for Skilled Workers

There are more than a dozen other categories for skilled workers who need a visa to work in the United States, including:

  • CW-1: CNMI-only transitional workers
  • E-1: Treaty traders and qualified employees
  • E-2: Treaty investors and qualified employees
  • E-2C: Long-term foreign investors in the CNMI
  • E-3: Some specialty occupation professionals from Australia
  • H-1C: Registered nurses working in a health professional shortage area
  • H-2A: Temporary or seasonal agricultural workers
  • H-2B: Temporary non-agricultural workers
  • H-3: Trainees (other than medical or academic)
  • I: Representatives of foreign press, radio, film, or other foreign information media
  • L-1A: Intra-company transferees in managerial or executive positions
  • L-1B: Intra-company transferees in positions utilizing specialized knowledge
  • O-1: People with extraordinary ability in science, art, education, business, or athletics, or motion picture or TV production
  • O-2: People accompanying O-1 nonimmigrants as assistants
  • P-1A: Internationally recognized athletes
  • P-1B: Internationally recognized entertainers or members of internationally recognized entertainment groups
  • P-2: Individual performers or those who are part of a group entering to perform under a reciprocal exchange program
  • P-3: Artists or entertainers (either individuals or groups) who are entering to perform, teach, or coach under a culturally unique program
  • Q-1: People who are part of an international cultural exchange program
  • R-1: Religious workers
  • TN: North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) professionals from Mexico and Canada

Do You Need to Talk to a Wisconsin Immigration Lawyer About a Nonimmigrant Worker Visa?

There are several ways to come to the U.S. to work, and our Wisconsin immigration lawyers can help you determine what category you or your business falls under.

Call us at 414-383-6700. We may be able to help you come to the U.S. to work, or, if you’re an employer, we can help you bring in skilled foreign workers under the visa program.

Carlos Gamino