Wisconsin is serious when it comes to shoplifting and retail theft – they’re each serious crimes that can land you in jail.
During the holidays, we often see an increase in the number of people who call us for shoplifting defense.
So what are Wisconsin’s shoplifting laws?
Wisconsin Shoplifting Laws
You can’t take anything from a store without paying for it – that’s Wisconsin’s shoplifting law in a nutshell. Technically, here’s what the law says. You can be charged with shoplifting or retail theft if you intend to take the property from the merchant and:
- Intentionally alter the price
- Intentionally take it out of the store
- Intentionally sell it
- Intentionally hide it
- Remove a theft detection device
- Use a theft detection shielding device
- Use or possess and intend to use a theft detection device remover
Consequences for Shoplifting in Wisconsin
If you’re caught shoplifting (the legal term is retail theft), your consequences depend on the value of the property you took.
- If the value of the property does not exceed $2,500, the theft is a Class A misdemeanor
- If the stolen property had a value of $2,501 – $5,000, the theft is a Class I felony
- If the stolen property had a value of $5,001 – $10,000, the theft is a Class H felony
- If the stolen property had a value of $10,000 or more, the theft is a Class G felony
What Should You Do if You’re Caught Shoplifting?
If you shoplift and the police catch you, it’s usually a good idea to get in touch with a shoplifting defense attorney who can help you. Your lawyer will be able to answer your questions, explain the possible consequences, and build a defense that gets you the best possible outcome in the case.
Your attorney will be there with you when police question you, and he or she will represent you when it’s time to go to court, too.
Talk to a Shoplifting Defense Attorney in Milwaukee Today
Being caught shoplifting is serious. If you need to talk to a shoplifting defense lawyer, call us right away at 414-383-6700 or get in touch with us online for a free case evaluation. We may be able to help you.