Some people are eligible to bring immediate family to the U.S. for immigration purposes – but only certain family members count, and the person filing the petition must be a U.S. citizen. For many people, the best solution is to work with a Milwaukee immigration attorney. Here’s what you need to know.
What Are Immediate Relative Immigrant Visas?
There are two groups of family-based immigrant visa categories: One for immediate relatives and one for family preference categories. There are an unlimited number of immediate relative immigrant visas and a limited number of family preference immigrant visas available each year.
Immediate Relative Immigrant Visas
Immediate relative immigrant visas are available for:
- Spouses of U.S. citizens
- Unmarried children of U.S. citizens, provided the children are under the age of 21
- Orphans adopted abroad by U.S. citizens
- Orphans who will be adopted in the U.S. by a U.S. citizen
- Parents of U.S. citizens who are at least 21 years old
Your family members also meet eligibility requirements to come to the United States under these types of visas.
Family Preference Immigrant Visas
Family preference immigrant visas are available for family members of U.S. citizens and, in some cases, lawful permanent residents (green card holders). You can apply under a family preference category for:
- Unmarried children of U.S. citizens, plus their minor children
- Spouses, minor children and unmarried children over the age of 21 of lawful permanent residents
- Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, as well as their spouses and minor children
- Brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens, as well as their spouses and minor children, if the U.S. citizens are at least 21 years old
The family members you apply for must meet eligibility requirements to come to the United States.
Do You Need to Talk to an Immigration Lawyer About Immediate Relative Immigrant Visas for Your Family?
If you need to bring your immediate relatives to the U.S. using one of these visa programs, we may be able to help you. Call us at 414-383-6700 or get in touch with us online to schedule a consultation today.