What to Do When Your Ex Won't Let You See Your Child - Carlos Gamino

By Carlos Gamino

What do you do when your ex won’t let you see your child?

If you’re like most parents, you look forward to being with your children – and when your ex won’t let you see them, you don’t even know where to turn.

What to Do When Your Ex Won’t Let You See Your Child

When your ex won’t let you see your child, you have a few options. First, though, you should see if you can figure out what’s going on and try to talk to your ex-spouse. Maybe he or she has misunderstood your child custody arrangement or placement schedule, or perhaps something happened that prevented a visit from going as planned. In some cases, ex-spouses mistakenly believe that they don’t have to let the other parent see the kids if child support is overdue, or that they have the right to keep the kids from the other parent for another reason.

While we’re on this topic, you need to know that if you’re the paying parent in a child support case, you can’t stop paying child support because your ex won’t let you see your child. You must keep paying until you have a court order that says you don’t have to pay. If you don’t, you could be held in contempt of court and end up in legal trouble.

If you can’t connect with your ex to resolve the issue, you may need to reach out to your Milwaukee divorce attorney. Your lawyer can file motions with the court to help enforce your custody agreement and ensure you get to see your children when you’re supposed to. Your ex could get into legal trouble for keeping the kids from you.

Do You Need to Talk to a Milwaukee Divorce Attorney?

When your ex won’t let you see your child, it’s incredibly stressful – but we may be able to help you. Call us at 414-383-6700 for a free case review. We’ll talk about your options and create a strategy that gets you and your children the best possible outcome.

Carlos Gamino