What to Do if You’re Caught With Vicodin in Milwaukee – Carlos Gamino

By Carlos Gamino

Prescription drugs are only supposed to go to people who have a valid prescription from a medical doctor – but what happens when someone is caught with something like Vicodin that doesn’t belong to them?

In the majority of cases, the state of Wisconsin prosecutes people for having narcotics that aren’t prescribed to them. The entire process can be scary – so if you’ve been accused of possessing Vicodin or another drug that doesn’t belong to you, here’s what you need to know.

Caught With Vicodin in Milwaukee? Here’s What Happens Next

First things first: You’re entitled to an attorney. It’s your right, and it’s outlined in the U.S. Constitution. Any time you’re accused of a crime, you should call a lawyer – even if you’re completely innocent. A lawyer can help protect your rights and defend you in court.

Possession of Narcotics: What You Need to Know

Possessing narcotics (technically called “possession of a controlled substance” in Wisconsin law) is a crime if:

  • You possessed a substance
  • The substance is a controlled substance or controlled substance analog
  • You know or believe that the substance is a controlled substance or controlled substance analog

A controlled substance analog is any chemical that’s “substantially similar” to a controlled substance. That means possessing generic Vicodin that doesn’t belong to you is the same thing as possessing the real deal.

Vicodin is considered a Schedule II controlled substance (the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration classifies drugs based on several factors), which means you can be charged with a Class I felony if you’re found in possession of it without a valid prescription from a medical doctor.

A Class I felony is serious – if you’re convicted, you could be looking at 1 year and 6 months in prison. The judge can also order you to complete 2 years of extended supervision once you get out of prison, as well as pay fines up to $10,000.

Have You Been Caught With Vicodin or a Similar Controlled Substance?

If you’ve been caught with non-prescription Vicodin or a similar controlled substance, we may be able to help you. Call 414-383-6700 right now to talk to a drug crime defense attorney in Milwaukee – don’t take the chance of defending yourself in court.

Carlos Gamino