What is Temporary Protected Status - Milwaukee Immigration Lawyers

By Carlos Gamino

If you’re considering becoming a permanent resident of the United States, you may have already heard about temporary protected status – but do you know what it includes and who is actually eligible? (If you have questions, please call our Milwaukee immigration attorneys; we can provide you with case-specific legal guidance.)

What is Temporary Protected Status?

When guests in the United States are unable to return to their countries of origin due to safety concerns, or when the country is unable to adequately handle the return of its nationals, they may be granted temporary protected status from United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.

The countries currently designated for temporary protected status of nationals include:

  • El Salvador
  • Guinea
  • Haiti
  • Honduras
  • Liberia
  • Nepal
  • Nicaragua
  • Sierra Leone
  • Somalia
  • Sudan
  • South Sudan
  • Syria
  • Yemen

Are You Eligible for Temporary Protected Status?

In order to be eligible for temporary protected status, or TPS, you must be a national of one of the countries on the current USCIS list. (The list is always subject to change.) In some cases, people without nationality who last resided in a designated country are also eligible.

You must have been physically present in the U.S. and have been continuously residing here since the date specified on the current USCIS list, as well.

Proving You’re Eligible for TPS

The USCIS requires you to submit documentation that proves you’re eligible for temporary protected status. You’ll need:

  • Proof of your identity and nationality, such as a passport, birth certificate with photo ID, or any other national identity document that has your photo or fingerprint issued by your native country. If you can’t obtain these documents, you’ll need to prove that you attempted to and explain why. You can also provide what’s called secondary evidence, such as a naturalization certificate, copies of your school or medical records (if they have information that shows your nationality), or copies of other immigration documents. You may also be able to submit affidavits from people who know you.
  • Evidence that proves when you entered the U.S., such as a copy of your passport or an I-94 Arrival/Departure record.
  • Evidence that proves you’ve been continuously residing in the U.S., such as employment records, rent receipts or utility bills, school records, or hospital records. You may also be able to submit attestations by church, union or other officials who know you and can affirm that you have continuously resided in the U.S.

Are You Applying for TPS?

If you need help applying for temporary protected status, our Milwaukee immigration lawyers are here for you.

Call us at 414-383-6700 or 262-650-6700, or get in touch with us online. We can give you the help you deserve.