What is Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals - Milwaukee Immigration Lawyers

By Tedia Gamino

If you’re like many people, you’ve heard of deferred action for childhood arrivals long as it pertains to immigration law in the U.S., but what does it really mean?

What is DACA?

Deferred action for childhood arrivals refers to people who came to the United States as children. The main point of DACA is that the U.S. Department of Homeland Security won’t deport some people who came to the U.S. as kids; instead, they can be given a type of temporary permission to stay in the U.S.

In February 2015, a federal district court in Texas put the expansion of the DACA program on hold. While people can’t apply for expanded DACA right now, people who are eligible under the original guidelines can still apply. Those already granted deferred action status can also renew it.

The Original Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals Guidelines

Under the original deferred action for childhood arrivals guidelines, many people are eligible to apply. In order to qualify, you must have:

  • Arrived in the U.S. before you were 16
  • Been under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012
  • Resided in the U.S. continuously between June 15, 2007 and today
  • Been physically present in the U.S. on June 15, 2012
  • Not had lawful status on June 15,2012

You must also be currently in school or have graduated (or gotten a GED or certificate of completion from high school). In the absence of those documents, you may be an honorably discharged veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces, including the Coast Guard.

Finally, you must not have been convicted of a felony, a significant misdemeanor, or three or more other misdemeanors. You also cannot pose a threat to national security or public safety.

Are You Eligible for DACA?

If you think you may be eligible for DACA and you need help with your request, contact our Milwaukee immigration lawyers. We can answer your case-specific questions and assist you with your request.

Call us at 414-383-6700 or 262-650-6700. If it’s easier, get in touch with us online.