What is Conditional Permanent Residence - Carlos Gamino

By Carlos Gamino

If you’re considering immigrating to the U.S., you’ve probably heard the term conditional permanent residence – but what does it mean, and does it even apply to you? If you’re not sure, you may want to talk to a Milwaukee immigration lawyer who can answer all your questions and give you case-specific legal advice.

What is Conditional Permanent Residence?

The term conditional permanent residence means permanent residence that could be taken away if something specific doesn’t happen. If you have been granted conditional permanent residence, you must file a petition to remove the condition at least 90 days before the card expires (conditional permanent residents receive a green card that’s valid for two years).

You can’t renew a conditional permanent residence card; the only way to keep permanent residency is to remove the conditions. If you don’t remove the conditions, you’ll lose your permanent resident status.

The most common conditional permanent residence cards are issued to people who marry a U.S. citizen or become business owners.

Removing Conditions on Permanent Residence Based on Marriage

In order to remove conditions on permanent residence based on marriage, you must meet one of these eligibility requirements:

  • You must still be married to the same person after two years
  • You are a widow or widower who got married in good faith
  • You are divorced but you got married in good faith
  • You entered the marriage in good faith but you or your child was battered or subjected to extreme hardship by your spouse

Removing Conditions on Permanent Residence for Entrepreneurs or Investors

In order to remove the conditions on permanent residence for entrepreneurs or investors, you must file to remove the conditions at least 90 days before your two-year card expires.

Do You Need to Talk to an Immigration Lawyer?

If you’re considering immigrating to the U.S., we may be able to help you. Call us at 414-383-6700 to schedule an appointment with a Milwaukee immigration attorney. You can also contact us online if it’s easier.

Carlos Gamino