By Attorney Carlos Gamino

If you’re an investor, you could be eligible to apply for an EB-5 visa, which falls under a special program to stimulate the U.S. economy.

What is an EB-5 Visa?

The EB-5 visa is a pathway to permanent residency in the United States. With an EB-5 visa, you can make an investment in a U.S. business to obtain a green card; then, you can apply for naturalization and become a U.S. citizen.

Related: Family immigration in Wisconsin

Requirements for Commercial Enterprises in the EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program

You can only qualify for an EB-5 visa if you invest in a new commercial enterprise that was established after November 29, 1990, or on or before that date if it was an existing business that’s been restructured or reorganized to the extent that a new commercial enterprise results or that’s been expanded through the investment so much that it results in at least a 40 percent increase in the business’s net worth or number of employees.

You must also invest the required amount of capital in a new commercial enterprise to create full-time positions for at least ten qualifying employees.

Related: The immigration guide to naturalization

Capital Investment Requirements

You must have capital to qualify for an EB-5 visa, and you must invest that capital – which can be cash, equipment, inventory, tangible property, cash equivalents or indebtedness secured by assets you already own. The minimum investment amount depends on where you’re investing, whether it’s in a typical area, a Targeted Employment Area (TEA), or a high-employment area. If you are filing for the first time after November 21, 2019, you must invest:

  • $1,800,000 in a typical investment area
  • $900,000 in a targeted employment area
  • $1,800,000 in a high-employment area

Do You Need to Talk to an Attorney About Securing an EB-5 Visa?

If you’re considering immigrating to the U.S. as an investor, you may want to have an experienced and knowledgeable immigration attorney on your side. Call us at 414-383-6700 to set up your consultation – we will be happy to answer your questions and give you the case-specific legal advice you need.

Carlos Gamino