What is Adjustment of Status in U.S. Immigration - Carlos Gamino

By Carlos Gamino

For many people, an adjustment of status is one more step in the direction of becoming a naturalized citizen. This guide explains what adjustment of status is, how to accomplish it and what happens when the U.S. government changes your immigration status.

What is Adjustment of Status?

Adjustment of status is a process you can use if you have a valid visa and want to become a lawful permanent resident, or LPR, of the United States. If the government approves your adjustment of status petition, you’ll receive a green card – and that will enable you to live and work anywhere in the U.S.

Who Qualifies for Adjustment of Status?

Not everyone qualifies for an adjustment of status. You can only apply for it if you used a visa to come to the U.S. on this trip – the one that brought you to the U.S. this time around. Most people must be in the U.S. legally to adjust status, although there are some exceptions (such as when you have overstayed a visa).

How Long Does it Take to Adjust Your Immigration Status?

Adjusting status in the U.S. can be a lengthy process, and it can be complicated. That’s why many people choose to work with a Wisconsin immigration attorney throughout the process.

Essentially, the length of time it takes to adjust your immigration status depends on the reason you qualify for a green card, the location of the processing office and a handful of other factors. Generally speaking, it takes between 7 months and 3 years to get a green card after your application is complete and filed with the U.S. government. However, those based on familial connections (other than spouses and children) can take a long time – even up to 10 years. Those types of green cards are based on availability, and you must wait until your number comes up to claim your green card. On the other hand, some employment-based green cards can go through the system fairly quickly, particularly if they’re in low-demand areas.

Do You Need to Talk to an Immigration Attorney About an Adjustment of Status Petition?

If you’re thinking about filing an adjustment of status petition, we may be able to help you. Call us at 414-383-6700 today to schedule a consultation with an immigration attorney. During your consultation, we’ll be happy to explain the process, answer your questions and get you started on the right path to a green card.

Carlos Gamino