What is a B-1 Visa for Business - Carlos Gamino

By Carlos Gamino

If you’re engaged in business with a U.S. company, you could be eligible for a B-1 visa. But what is a B-1 visa, and how could it help you further your business interests in the United States?

What is a B-1 Visa?

A B-1 visa is reserved strictly for business people who want to come to the U.S. temporarily. When you have a B-1 visa, you’re permitted to engage in business activities (like consulting with your associates, negotiating contracts, and participating in meetings or conferences in the States). It doesn’t cover attending trade schools or other types of schools – that’s an F-1 or F-2 visa.

Who Can Get a B-1 Visa?

You can get a B-1 visa from your home country to the U.S. if you can show that the purpose of your trip is business that doesn’t involve gainful employment or remuneration from a source within the U.S. (Remuneration is money paid for a work or a service.)

In order to get a B-1 visa, you have to show that you only intend your trip to be temporary, not permanent, and that you’ll return to your home country when your business is concluded. You’ll also have to show that you have sufficient funds to support yourself during your stay, and you might be required to meet health and character requirements, as well.

How Long is a B-1 Visa Valid?

Typically, a B-1 visa allows you to stay in the U.S. for up to a year. Your spouse and children, as well as some domestic employees, may be able to come with you under a derivative non-immigrant visa.

Sometimes it’s possible to change your B-1 visa status once you’re already in the U.S., but that’s only under certain circumstances (such as engaging in employment or full-time study). It’s all handled on a case-by-case basis.

Do You Need to Talk to an Immigration Attorney About B-1 Visas?

If you need to come to the U.S. for business, particularly if you own your own company, working with a Milwaukee immigration attorney to obtain a B-1 visa may be the right choice for you.

Call us at 414-383-6700 to set up your consultation, or get in touch with us online. We may be able to help you with the B-1 visa process.

Carlos Gamino