What if You’re Falsely Accused of a Crime - Carlos Gamino

By Carlos Gamino

Our jails and prisons have plenty of occupants who didn’t actually commit the crimes they’re accused of committing – and we don’t want you to be one of them. If you’ve been falsely accused of a crime, you’ll go through the normal criminal process and end up in front of a judge (and in some cases, a jury), who will eventually decide whether or not you’re innocent.

Sometimes, innocent people go to jail. Here’s what you need to know – and why you should get in touch with a Milwaukee criminal defense attorney.

What Happens if You’re Falsely Accused of a Crime?

Whether you’re innocent or guilty, if the police think you’ve committed a crime, they’ll arrest you and take you to jail. Unless the police find the person who really committed the crime and they become certain it wasn’t you, they’ll schedule your first court appearance. The judge will read you your formal charges, and you’ll have the chance to let the court know you’re innocent.

At this point, you should have already spoken with an attorney. Your attorney can speak up for you in court.

Related: You still need a lawyer if you’re falsely accused of a crime

What to Do if You’re Falsely Accused of a Crime

Follow these steps if you’re falsely accused of a crime:

  • Call an attorney immediately at 414-383-6700
  • Gather evidence that even remotely ties into your case, including clothing, documents, phone records or anything that may show where you were when the crime occurred
  • Make a list of people who may have information on the incident or who can help prove where you were

Do not answer questions when the police start asking unless you’ve talked to your attorney first. A lot of people worry that telling the police they don’t want to cooperate will make them look guilty – but don’t worry about what the police think; worry about your future instead. Even if the police tell you that they just want your side of the story, don’t say anything until you talk to an attorney.

Do You Need to Talk to a Lawyer?

If you’ve been accused of a crime – whether you did it or police have made a mistake – we may be able to help you.

Call us right now at 414-383-6700 for a free case review. We’ll answer your questions and start developing a strategy that gets you the best possible outcome.

Carlos Gamino