What Happens if You Violate a Restraining Order in Wisconsin - Carlos Gamino

By Carlos Gamino

Violating a restraining order is a serious offense in Wisconsin. The courts only issue restraining orders if they feel that someone is in danger – and when someone takes one out against you, that means the court thinks you’re a threat. Violating a restraining order will get you into serious trouble, so here’s what you need to know.

What Happens if You Violate a Restraining Order in Wisconsin?

There are three types of restraining orders in Wisconsin, and the type the judge issues in your case will be one of them. Judges use:

  • 72-hour no-contact orders. These are usually issued immediately after a domestic violence arrest.
  • Temporary restraining orders. These restraining orders are issued to protect a person for up to 90 days or until a court hearing.
  • Injunction. Injunctions are restraining orders that can last for up to 2 years, and they can only be issued after a court hearing.

These orders can require you to avoid the alleged victim, stay away from your home or even tell you that you can’t see your children. When a judge issues a restraining order against you, you’ll get a notice that explains what the order means, what you need to do next, and when you must appear in court. No matter what, you should follow the instructions in your restraining order – even if you feel it was issued in error.

If you violate a restraining order, you’re going to face legal consequences. The consequences vary based on the reason the judge ordered the issue in the first place. For example, if a judge issued your restraining order in response to a domestic violence case, you could go to jail for up to 9 months and pay a fine of $1,000.

What to Do if You’re Caught Violating a Restraining Order

If you’ve been accused of violating a restraining order in Wisconsin, we may be able to help you. Call us at 414-383-6700 today to schedule a free consultation with an attorney who will listen to your side of the story and give you the legal guidance you need.

Carlos Gamino