VAWA Protections for Immigrant Women and Crime Victims - Carlos Gamino

By Carlos Gamino

The Violence Against Women Act, or VAWA, provides certain protections for immigrant women in the United States.

The fact is that many women around the world are being exploited – and VAWA is legislation that tries to protect them. The law provides for:

  • U visas
  • T visas
  • Battered spouse waivers

U Visas

A U visa is there to protect victims of certain crimes who are helpful to law enforcement agents and government officials. You could be eligible for a U visa if you:

  • Are the victim of qualifying criminal activity
  • You have suffered physical or mental abuse from that criminal activity
  • You have information about the criminal activity
  • You were, are or will help law enforcement in the investigation or prosecution of the crime

T Visas

T visas are temporary protections for some people who are victims of human trafficking. You might qualify for a T visa if you:

  • Are or were a victim of sex trafficking or labor trafficking
  • Are currently in the U.S. or at a port of entry due to trafficking
  • Comply with law enforcement’s reasonable requests for help in investigating or prosecuting human trafficking
  • Demonstrate that you would suffer extreme hardship that involves unusual and severe harm if you were removed from the U.S.

Battered Spouse Waivers

If you’re a battered spouse, child or parent, you can file an immigrant visa petition under the Immigration and Nationality Act thanks to the VAWA. You can file the petition without your abuser’s knowledge, and it doesn’t matter whether you’re a man or woman.

Do You Need to Talk to an Immigration Lawyer About VAWA Protections?

If you need an attorney’s help filing a VAWA petition, call us right away at 414-383-6700 to schedule a consultation with a Milwaukee immigration lawyer. We’ll answer your questions and help you through the process.

Carlos Gamino