U.S. Citizenship Through Naturalization - Wisconsin Immigration Lawyer

By Carlos Gamino

There are many ways to become a U.S. citizen. You can become naturalized through a number of avenues if you’re eligible, whether you’re serving in the U.S. military to get citizenship or you’re a green card holder married to a U.S. citizen.

No two cases are the same, though, so many people choose to work with a Wisconsin immigration lawyer who understands the law and who can help smooth out the application process.

The Path to U.S. Citizenship

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, or USCIS, is in charge of the citizenship process in the U.S. The most common ways for people to gain citizenship in the U.S. include:

  • Holding a green card and being married to a U.S. citizen
  • Holding a green card and being in the U.S. military
  • Holding a green card and being a U.S. resident for at least 5 years

If you’re neither married to a U.S. citizen or part of the military, you can still apply for naturalization.

Who Qualifies for Naturalization in the U.S.?

If you intend to live in the U.S. as a permanent resident and wish to apply for naturalization, you can’t do it immediately. Before you can apply for naturalization, you must:

  • Be over 18 when you file
  • Hold a green card for at least 5 years immediately preceding the date you file
  • Live in the state or USCIS district from which you’re applying for at least 3 months before you file
  • Be able to show continuous residence in the U.S. for at least 5 years immediately preceding the date you file
  • Have been physically present in the U.S. for at least 30 months of the preceding 5 years
  • Stay in the U.S. from the date of your application until the time of your naturalization
  • Read, write, and speak English
  • Have knowledge and an understanding of U.S. history and government
  • Have good moral character and be attached to the principles of the Constitution

Do You Need to Talk to a Wisconsin Immigration Lawyer About Naturalization?

Even if you haven’t yet applied for a green card, it can be a good idea to talk to a Waukesha immigration lawyer who can give you advice on how to become a naturalized citizen of the U.S.

Call us at 414-383-6700. You can also contact us online. We’ll be happy to discuss your needs and give you legal advice you can use on your path to U.S. citizenship.

Carlos Gamino