Disorderly Conduct and Road Rage Charges in Wisconsin - Carlos Gamino

By Carlos Gamino

A road rage incident can lead to disorderly conduct charges in Wisconsin – and it happens every day on our roadways, from Milwaukee and Waukesha to Madison, Green Bay and La Crosse. Typically, road rage is defined as a type of extreme, aggressive anger between drivers that leads to an incident.

So what happens if you get road rage charges? Here’s what you need to know.

Road Rage Charges: A Type of Disorderly Conduct in Wisconsin

Disorderly conduct is a crime in Wisconsin, and many people call it a “catch-all.” That’s because virtually anything a person does that disturbs the peace can count as disorderly conduct.

The law defines it this way: “Whoever, in a public or private place, engages in violent, abusive, indecent, profane, boisterous, unreasonably loud or otherwise disorderly conduct under circumstances in which the conduct tends to cause or provoke a disturbance is guilty of a Class B misdemeanor.”

Related: Can you be charged with disorderly conduct for fighting?

That means you don’t even have to get into a fight, cause any damage or harm, or get into a car accident to be charged with disorderly conduct as it relates to a road rage incident. Essentially, you can get road rage charges in Wisconsin for things like:

  • Yelling
  • Verbally insulting someone
  • Making rude or insulting gestures
  • Threatening violence
  • Trying to intimidate another driver
  • Having a physical confrontation with another driver
  • Performing aggressive driving maneuvers (like tailgating, swerving in and out of traffic, and blocking other drivers)

Keep in mind that if you get into a physical confrontation with another driver, you can be charged with a battery offense on top of disorderly conduct. Each comes with its own penalties

Do You Need to Talk to a Lawyer About Road Rage Charges?

Road rage charges can be serious, so it may be a good idea for you to call an attorney. We’re available at 414-383-6700 – just call now for your free consultation.

Carlos Gamino