If you’re like many people, you have a green card and you want to become a U.S. citizen. While the process takes time, it can be a rewarding one – but as a U.S. citizen, you’ll have several rights and responsibilities that you wouldn’t otherwise have.
When you’re considering U.S. citizenship, you may find it helpful to talk to an immigration lawyer in Milwaukee who can help you navigate through the process.
Rights and Responsibilities of U.S. Citizens
Every U.S. citizen, whether they were born here or were naturalized, has a certain set of rights and responsibilities. The rights citizens enjoy are inalienable – that means that nobody can ever take them away from you.
Rights of U.S. Citizens
As a U.S. citizen, you will have several rights – including:
- Religious freedom
- The freedom to express yourself
- The right to a fair, prompt trial by jury
- The right to apply for federal employment that requires U.S. citizenship
- The right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness
- The right to run for office
- The right to vote in elections
Responsibilities of U.S. Citizens
U.S. citizens have a number of responsibilities (most of them civic), including:
- To support and defend the U.S. Constitution
- Defend the U.S. if the need arises
- Participate in the democratic process
- Pay income taxes honestly
- Respect and obey federal, state and local laws
- Respect the beliefs and rights of others
- Serve on a jury if called upon
Do You Need to Talk to a Milwaukee Immigration Lawyer?
If you’re thinking about becoming a U.S. citizen, you could benefit from working with an immigration attorney in Milwaukee who understands the whole process, who can answer your questions, and who can help you prepare for the application process.
Call us at 414-383-6700 to schedule an immigration consultation with an experienced lawyer – we would love to help you on your journey to becoming a U.S. citizen.