My Spouse Died - Can I Stay in the U.S. - Milwaukee Immigration Lawyer

As a widowed immigrant, you may be entitled to special privileges that allow you to stay in the US as a permanent residence – but the path to residency can be extremely complicated and time-consuming. In most cases, it’s best to work with a Milwaukee immigration attorney who knows the ropes (and who has helped others apply for residency) to make sure that you’ve covered all of your bases. That way, you don’t have to worry about the process being held up over a little red tape.

Permanent Residency Requirements in the US

In order to apply for permanent residency in the US after your spouse dies, you’ll need to prove that you were here legally prior to his or her death. You’ll also need to show that you were married in good faith (in other words, that you weren’t only married so that you could come to the US) and that you’re in good legal standing.

You can’t remarry while you’re trying to get permanent residency based on your spouse’s death; doing so will disrupt the process and render you ineligible.

How a Milwaukee Immigration Lawyer Can Help

Many people run into trouble when it comes to producing the right forms of proof of marriage, incorrectly completing paperwork or turning in paperwork outside of the mandated timeframe.

It’s essential that you work with a lawyer who understands our immigration system. The Milwaukee immigration lawyers at Gamino Law Offices, LLC can help ensure that all of your paperwork is in order and that you’ve filled out, signed and filed the correct forms. Working with a skilled lawyer can help you skip those legal headaches and get straight to the point: your permanent US residency.