Medical Exams and Vaccines for People Applying for U.S. Residency - Carlos Gamino

By Carlos Gamino

If you’re applying for permanent residence in the United States, you may find it helpful to work with a Wisconsin immigration attorney who can walk you through the process and help ensure you know what you need. However, whether or not you’re working with an immigration lawyer, you’ll most likely need a few things in the medical arena: A medical exam and a handful of vaccines.

Medical Examinations for People Applying for Permanent Residency in the U.S.

If you’re already inside the United States, you’ll need to have a medical exam conducted by a physician who’s been designated by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. These doctors are also known as civil surgeons. You can find an appropriate physician here or by asking your Wisconsin immigration lawyer to assist you.

For applicants outside the U.S., your exam must be performed by a physician designated by the U.S. Department of State. These doctors are also called panel physicians. You can find an approved doctor near you by clicking here.

Necessary Vaccines for People Applying for Permanent Residency in the U.S.

If you’re applying for permanent residency in the U.S., you must be vaccinated against:

  • Haemophilus influenzae type B
  • Hepatitis B
  • Measles
  • Mumps
  • Polio
  • Rubella
  • Tetanus and diphtheria toxoids
  • Other vaccine-preventable diseases designated by the Advisory Committee for Immunization Practices

Typically, people receive these vaccines at the time of their medical exam. However, you may need to schedule follow-up appointments or provide proof that you are already immune to the diseases prevented by these vaccines if you do not receive them during your exam.

Do You Need to Talk to a Wisconsin Immigration Lawyer?

If you have more questions about immigrating to the U.S. or obtaining permanent residency here, please call our immigration lawyers in Wisconsin at 414-383-6700, or get in touch with us online. We’ll be happy to set up an appointment with you and assist you on your path to U.S. citizenship.

Carlos Gamino