In January 2021, Vice-President Kamala Harris made some surprising statements about the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program – and if enacted, they could provide DREAMers with unprecedented benefits. Here’s what you need to know.
What Did Kamala Harris Say About Immigration?
Vice President Kamala Harris, in an interview with Univision, said of the administration’s plan: “ It’s a smarter and much more humane way of approaching immigration.” Harris said that the administration wanted to add more judges to relieve the backlog currently plaguing immigration courts, as well as to expand protections available to DACA recipients. Additionally, the administration plans to allow people with DACA and temporary protected status to obtain green cards – and that alone would provide a path to citizenship for more than 1 million people.
Related: Kids who cross the border alone
Immigration advocates are applauding the plan. Sanaa Abrar, advocacy director at United We Dream, said, “Along with our allies, we helped deliver a clear policy mandate to President-elect Biden, and now he and the new Democratic-controlled Congress, led by Speaker Pelosi and Majority Leader Schumer, must immediately pass a bill that gives citizenship to all 11 million undocumented people living in the U.S., protects people, and does not grow the deadly deportation force of ICE and CBP.”
Other parts of the plan include:
- Providing legal representation for children who arrive at the U.S. border so they can be treated fairly
- Providing the COVID-19 vaccine to everyone, regardless of immigration status
- Creating more pathways to citizenship for undocumented immigrants in the U.S.
- Reasserting the U.S.’s commitment to asylum-seekers and refugees
Are You Thinking of Immigrating to the U.S.?
If you’re considering immigrating to the United States, we may be able to help you. Call us at 414-383-6700 to discuss:
- Green cards
- Adjustment of status
- Fiancé visas
- Labor certifications for business immigration
- Deportation defense and removal proceedings
- Humanitarian programs