How to Remove Conditions on Permanent Residence Based on Marriage - Carlos Gamino

By Carlos Gamino

For many people, the U.S. immigration process is incredibly complicated and tough to navigate. Working with a Milwaukee immigration lawyer can help you sort out the process – your attorney can file the appropriate paperwork, answer your questions, and help you through each step.

If you want to remove conditions on your permanent residency based on your marriage, you may find it helpful to talk to an attorney about the requirements. Here’s what you need to know.

How to Remove Conditions on Permanent Residence Based on Your Marriage

The U.S. government puts conditions on permanent residency that’s based on marriage because the government wants to ensure you didn’t get married simply to get around the law. However, you can remove those conditions by filing the appropriate paperwork with the government – as long as you meet these conditions:

  • You are still married to the same person (a U.S. citizen or permanent resident) after two years.
  • You are a child and cannot be included on your parents’ application.
  • You are a widow or widower who entered into your marriage in good faith (not with the intent of defrauding the government).
  • You entered into the marriage in good faith, but you got divorced or your marriage was annulled.
  • You entered into the marriage in good faith, but your spouse was abusive or subjected you or your child to extreme hardship.

In cases where you are still married, you and your spouse have to apply together to remove your conditions. However, if you’re not married, you can ask the U.S. government to waive the joint filing requirement – but you have to prove that removal from the U.S. would cause you extreme hardship. That can be difficult, and many people in situations like those choose to enlist the help of an immigration attorney.

Do You Need to Talk to a Lawyer About Removing the Conditions on Your Permanent Residency Based on Marriage?

If you need help removing the conditions on your permanent residency, you may benefit from working with a Milwaukee immigration attorney. Call us right now at 414-383-6700 to schedule a consultation with a caring, compassionate and knowledgeable attorney – we can answer your questions and help you through the process.

Carlos Gamino