How to Help a Relative Become a Permanent Resident in the U.S. – Carlos Gamino

By Carlos Gamino

If you’re a permanent resident of the U.S., you may be able to help your relatives become lawful permanent residents, as well. However, in order to do so, you’ll have to be a sponsor – that means you’ll have to prove that you have enough income (or assets) to support that person when he or she comes to the U.S.

You can petition for a husband or wife, or unmarried children. If your children are married, you can only petition for them if you’re a U.S. citizen. Your Milwaukee immigration attorney can help you do this by submitting a Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative.

What Happens When You Submit a Petition?

When your lawyer files a Form I-130 for your spouse or child and you’re able to prove your relationship with that person, it’s like putting a placeholder in the line for visa numbers for that relative. The sooner you file, the better. Once your relative’s petition gets to the top of the pile, the State Department will invite him or her to apply for a visa. At that point, your relative still has to meet all the conditions required to get a visa.

Special Circumstances: When Your Child Gets Married

If you petition for your unmarried child and he or she gets married, the petition will automatically be revoked.

How Long Does it Take Before Your Relative Can Immigrate to the U.S.?

As with all matters going through the Department of State, the length of time your relative must wait before being invited to apply for a visa varies. You can learn about wait times here.

Do You Need to Talk to a Lawyer About Bringing Your Family to the U.S.?

If you need to talk to a Milwaukee immigration attorney about bringing your family to the U.S. when you’re already a permanent resident, we may be able to help you.

Contact us at 414-383-6700 to schedule a consultation with an immigration attorney now.

Carlos Gamino