How to Fight Removal Proceedings in Wisconsin - Milwaukee Immigration and Deportation Lawyer

By Carlos Gamino

Removal proceedings, which are commonly known as deportation proceedings, happen every day in the U.S.

If the government is threatening to deport you, do you have legal recourse? What can you do to halt the proceedings or at least change the outcome of your case?

How Do Removal Proceedings Work?

Deportation is a complicated process. It begins with an initial notification that removal proceedings are being initiated against you. You may receive a notice to appear at a hearing, which will also include the reason you’re being ordered to appear, what you’ve been accused of doing (the grounds for the proceedings) and the fact that you have the right to hire an immigration attorney.

If you’ve hired an attorney, he or she will go with you to your hearing. At that time, you’ll be allowed to state your case. In some cases, your attorney can help stop removal proceedings before they go any further. While you can appeal a judge’s decision if he or she rules that you must be deported, it’s typically easier to avoid having to do so in the first place.

Why Would the U.S. Government Start Removal Proceedings?

There are numerous reasons the government may seek to deport you, including:

  • Conviction of a crime
  • Deliberately overstaying your visa
  • Illegal immigration
  • Marriage fraud
  • Smuggling or human trafficking

You could be eligible for relief from removal proceedings, though, which is where your Milwaukee immigration lawyer comes in. Your attorney will hold the government accountable for proving that you are “deportable,” which is exactly what the law requires.

Relief from Removal Proceedings

In some cases, immigration lawyers are able to obtain relief from removal proceedings, which essentially stops the proceedings and allows the immigrant to remain in the U.S. Some ways your attorney could get you relief include through:

  • An adjustment of status
  • Asylum
  • Amnesty (legalization and registry)

You may also be able to voluntarily depart the U.S., which may be the best option if you want to avoid a future bar to immigration.