How to Come to the U.S. as a Student - Wisconsin Immigration Attorney

By Carlos Gamino

If you’re a student, you may be able to study here in the U.S. by getting a student visa.

But what is a student visa, and how do you get one? Many people choose to work with a Wisconsin immigration attorney to smooth out the process and answer their questions along the way.

What is a Student Visa to Come to the U.S.?

There are two types of student visas you can use to come to the U.S.: an F-1 Visa for academic students and an M-1 Visa for vocational students.

F-1 Student Visas

You may be allowed to enter the United States as a full-time student at an accredited:

  • College
  • University
  • Seminary
  • Conservatory
  • Academic high school
  • Elementary school
  • Language training program
  • Other academic institution

With an F-1 Visa, you must be enrolled in a course of study or program that ends in your receipt of a degree, diploma, or certificate. The school you attend must be authorized by the U.S. government to accept international students, as well.

M-1 Student Visas

M-1 Visas allow vocational students to come to the U.S. for vocational or other nonacademic programs (not counting language training, which is covered under the F-1 Visa program).

Working on a Student Visa

If you receive a student visa, either F-1 or M-1, you may be able to work while you’re here in the U.S.

If you have an F-1 visa, you cannot work off-campus during your first academic year, but you can work for your academic institution as long as you meet certain conditions. After your first year, you can take a job doing curricular practical training, optional practical training, or STEM practical training.

If you’re an M-1 student, you can only engage in practical training after you’ve completed your studies.

Do You Need to Talk to a Milwaukee Immigration Lawyer?

If you’re thinking about coming to the U.S. on a student visa, our Wisconsin immigration lawyers may be able to help you. Call us at 414-383-6700. You can also get in touch with our immigration attorneys online if it’s easier.

Carlos Gamino