How to Change the Terms of Your Supervision - Milwaukee Criminal Defense Lawyer

Extended supervision, which used to be called parole, is a way for the Wisconsin court system to keep track of people who have been convicted of crimes but aren’t currently in jail or prison. While it’s required that you participate in extended supervision, you may be allowed to change the terms. You can’t just talk to your agent to get the terms changed, though; you’ll probably need to work with a Milwaukee criminal defense lawyer who deals with post-conviction issues and criminal appeals.

Visiting your Agent: It’s Mandatory

When you’re placed on extended supervision, your probation and parole agent will tell you how often you’re required to report. If you don’t comply, your agent will have to file paperwork stating that you’re in violation of the terms of your supervision – and that could lead to an entirely new sentence or a return to prison. The Wisconsin Department of Corrections is very clear: if you don’t report to your agent and he or she can’t find you, a warrant will be issued for your arrest.

The only thing your agent can change about your supervision is how frequently you have to report; in rare cases, he or she can ask the court to give you more time to pay for your supervision fees or to change the amount you must pay.

If the court has ordered it, your agent may:

  • Tell you to give a urine sample
  • Verify your employment
  • Verify your attendance at drug treatment or education groups, such as anger management
  • Collect DNA samples
  • Collect restitution
  • Verify that your supervision fees are paid

How to Change the Terms of Your Supervision

If you need the terms of your supervision changed (such as when you feel that treatment has been successful, you need to change the type of community service you are doing, or you want to make other changes), it’s often helpful to contact a Milwaukee appellate lawyer who knows the ropes. He or she can walk you through the process, which will include petitioning the court and asking your judge to review his or her previous decision based on new facts.