How to Apply for Naturalization in the U.S. - Carlos Gamino

By Carlos Gamino

If you’re not a U.S. citizen by birth or you didn’t acquire citizenship through your parents, you may be eligible for U.S. citizenship. In order to qualify, you must:

  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Be a permanent resident of the U.S. for longer than the past 3 years
  • Have not been outside the U.S. for 30 months or more out of the past 5 years
  • Have not taken a yearlong trip outside the U.S.
  • Reside in the district or state in which you’re applying for naturalization for at least the past 3 months
  • Be able to read, write and speak basic English
  • Know the fundamentals of U.S. history, as well as the form and principles of the U.S. government
  • Be a person of good moral character
  • Register with the Selective Service if applicable
  • Have never deserted from the U.S. Armed Forces, or received an exemption or discharge on the grounds that you are an alien
  • Be willing to perform military or civilian service for the U.S. if required by law
  • Agree to support the U.S. Constitution
  • Be willing to take an oath of allegiance to the U.S.

But how do you apply for naturalization if you do qualify? Here’s a quick guide.

How to Apply for U.S. Naturalization if You Qualify

For most people, it makes sense to work with a Milwaukee Wisconsin immigration attorney who understands your needs. Your lawyer can prepare your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, and submit it to the appropriate agency. From there, you may need to go to a biometrics appointment.

Finally, you’ll have to complete your interview to complete the naturalization process. From there, USCIS will issue its decision, which will be:

  • Granted. In this case, you are eligible for naturalization.
  • Continued. In this case, the USCIS can continue your application if you need to provide more documentation, or if you fail the English or civics test the first time.
  • Denied. In this case, you are not eligible for naturalization.

If your application is granted, you’ll receive a notice to take the Oath of Allegiance to the U.S. Once you take it, you’ll officially become a U.S. citizen.

Do You Need to Talk to a Lawyer About Naturalization?

Working with a lawyer when you qualify for naturalization can make the process easier for you – your immigration attorney will handle the paperwork, which can be complicated and confusing.

If you need to talk to a Milwaukee immigration lawyer, we may be able to help you. Call us at 414-383-6700 to schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys today.

Carlos Gamino