How to Apply for a Work Visa - Milwaukee Immigration Lawyers

By Carlos Gamino

Many people come to the U.S. as workers – and for some people, it’s one of the easiest pathways toward living in the U.S.

Applying for a Work Visa in the U.S.

In most cases, you must obtain a visa before you’re eligible to enter the United States. If you’re interested in a temporary worker visa, you may be able to procure one in order to gain employment in the U.S. for a fixed period of time.

Temporary Worker Visa Categories

There are 11 categories of temporary workers that people applying for visas fall under, including:

  • H-1B: Person in Specialty Occupation
  • H-1B1: Free Trade Agreement Professional
  • H-2A: Temporary Agricultural Worker
  • H-2B: Temporary Non-Agricultural Worker
  • H-3: Trainee or Special Education Visitor
  • L: Intracompany Transferee
  • O: Individual With Extraordinary Ability or Achievement
  • P-1: Individual or Team Athlete, or Member of an Entertainment Group
  • P-2: Artist or Entertainer (Individual or Group) for performance under a reciprocal exchange program
  • P-3: Artist or Entertainer (Individual or Group) to perform, teach or coach under a culturally unique program
  • Q-1: Participant in an International Cultural Exchange Program

If you wish to apply for a temporary worker visa, you may find it helpful to work with a Milwaukee immigration lawyer who can help smooth the process for you.

Because many temporary worker categories are limited in the number of petitions that can be approved each year, you’ll need to apply as soon as possible.

How to Apply for a Temporary Work Visa

In order to apply for a temporary work visa to the U.S., you’ll need to file a number of forms with the Department of Labor and the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Many people find it’s best to work with a Milwaukee immigration lawyer who’s familiar with the process, because in many cases, the paperwork required can become overwhelming. One error in the process can set back progress by several months (or worse, result in the denial of your application), which means you could be waiting longer than normal to receive your temporary work visa.

Do You Need Help With a Temporary Work Visa?

If you need help obtaining a temporary work visa to the U.S., our Milwaukee immigration attorneys may be able to help you.

Call us at 414-383-6700. If it’s easier, you can also contact us online. We’ll be happy to discuss your situation and your options to help make the process easier on you.

Carlos Gamino