How Do You Get Child Support in Milwaukee - Carlos Gamino

By Carlos Gamino

In the state of Wisconsin, parents are required to support their children – and in the case of divorced parents, that’s ensured through Wisconsin’s child support laws. But how do you get child support, and how much money is it supposed to be? Here’s a quick guide to explain the law and how it’s enforced.

How Do You Get Child Support in Wisconsin?

When you’re splitting up with your ex, your Milwaukee divorce attorney will file paperwork with the court regarding child support. The state of Wisconsin recognizes a child’s legal right to receive support from both parents, and often, the way it works out is that one parent pays the other a sum of money each month. (Typically, the parent who the children live with is the one who receives the money.)

How is Child Support Calculated?

The state has established a guideline for courts to use. It’s called the Percentage of Income Standard, and it considers each parent’s income, how much time the child spends with each parent, and whether the parents are supporting other children at the same time.

It’s important to remember that the courts must use this guideline when determining the amount of child support that’s changing hands, but that judges can deviate from it. There are special guidelines for parents who share placement, split placement between different children, or have low or high incomes.

How Much Does Child Support Cost?

Under the standard guideline, the parent paying child support pays:

  • 17% of income for one child
  • 25% of income for two children
  • 29% of income for three children
  • 31% of income for four children
  • 34% of income for five or more children

How Do You Get Child Support?

Your Milwaukee divorce attorney will file the right paperwork with the court when it comes to child support. The judge in your case will evaluate both parents’ financial information when he or she makes a ruling.

Do You Need to Talk to an Attorney About Child Support?

If you’re a divorcing parent, we may be able to help you. Call us at 414-383-6700 or get in touch with us online to set up a free consultation with a Milwaukee divorce lawyer right now.

Carlos Gamino