Citizenship for Military Spouses and Kids - Milwaukee Immigration Lawyers

By Carlos Gamino

If you’re the spouse or child of a U.S. military service member, you could be eligible for expedited naturalization or for overseas processing. In many cases, it makes sense to talk to a Milwaukee immigration lawyer who’s familiar with the process and the laws surrounding citizenship for military members and their families.

U.S. Citizenship for Military Spouses

If your spouse is a U.S. citizen who is or will be deployed with the U.S. military, you could be eligible for an expedited naturalization process.

In order to qualify, you must:

  • Be over 18
  • Show that your spouse is or will be deployed (in this case, deployed may also mean stationed in another country)
  • Be here in the U.S. as a green card holder at the time of examination on the naturalization application
  • Be here in the U.S. at the time of your naturalization
  • Declare in good faith your intent to live abroad with your spouse and to live in the U.S. as soon as your spouse’s term overseas is finished
  • Be able to write, read, and speak English
  • Understand U.S. history and government
  • Be a person of good moral character who’s attached to the principles of the U.S. Constitution

U.S. Citizenship for Children of Military Members

Some children haven’t automatically acquired citizenship through birth, but if one or both of their parents are U.S. citizens serving in the military (including parents who are deceased), these children (or their guardians) can apply for naturalization if:

  • At least one parent is a U.S. citizen (or was at the time of his or her death)
  • The parent has or had been physically present in the U.S. for at least five years, at least two of which were after the parent attained the age of 14
  • The child is under 18
  • The child resides outside the U.S. in the legal, physical custody of a U.S. citizen parent; if the parent is deceased, the child must reside with an individual who doesn’t object to the application
  • The child is temporarily present in the U.S. after having lawfully entered

Do You Need to Talk to a Milwaukee Immigration Lawyer About Military Spouse and Child Citizenship?

For many people, working with a Milwaukee immigration lawyer can make the citizenship application process easier. If you’d like to talk to an attorney about your options, or about your children’s options, we’d love to help.

Call us at 414-383-6700 for a consultation with an immigration attorney today. The sooner you call, the sooner we can help you.

Carlos Gamino