Help!  Police Threatened to Deport Me! - Milwaukee Immigration Attorney

Facing deportation is never easy. If police are threatening to send you packing, the most important thing you can do is stay calm. The next most important thing you can do is to call a Milwaukee immigration lawyer—and you should do so without ever answering any questions about your immigration status.

In fact, no matter what your immigration status may be, you do not have to answer any questions the police ask you.

Can Police Legally Threaten to Deport You?

While police really are interested in finding the truth, sometimes the methods they use are a little bit questionable. They can say things to you about your immigration status and inquire about whether you have papers (and if you do, you can show them; you can also request that your lawyer be present before you do anything).

Can Police Really Deport You?

The police themselves cannot deport you. Deportation is actually a complex process. If you find yourself in that situation, a talented immigration attorney can help you in several ways.

In order for removal proceedings to start, the Department of Homeland Security must file a Notice to Appear. You’ll have a hearing in front of an immigration law judge after you’ve been placed in immigration detention. That leaves you time to contact a lawyer if you haven’t already—but it’s in your best interest to call an attorney as soon as someone threatens to deport you.

With that said, some crimes are grounds for deportation. You could be deported if you are convicted of a variety of aggravated felonies, offenses against the government and crimes of moral turpitude.

Why Work with a Milwaukee Deportation Lawyer?

Working with an attorney has several advantages. Your lawyer will make sure you know your rights and that nobody violates them. If you end up facing deportation, your attorney can fight on your behalf and hold the government to their responsibility of proving you are deportable. Your lawyer can also help you get relief from deportation if it is available to you.