Falsely Accused of Domestic Battery? Here’s Why You May Need a Lawyer

By Carlos Gamino

If you’ve been falsely accused of domestic battery, it’s probably in your best interest to get in touch with an attorney who can help you immediately. A domestic battery conviction is a serious one, and it will stay on your criminal record for the rest of your life. Because the penalties are so harsh for domestic battery in Wisconsin, you need tough, knowledgeable legal representation on your side.

What Happens if You’re Convicted of Domestic Abuse in Wisconsin?

Domestic battery, which can only occur between people who have an established familial relationship of some type, is a very serious crime, and it’s one that carries harsh penalties. If you are convicted of domestic battery, even if you are innocent, you could end up spending time behind bars.

What to Do if You’re Falsely Accused of Domestic Battery

For most people, the best thing to do is to get in touch with a domestic battery defense attorney in Wisconsin immediately.

You have the right to have your lawyer present with you during questioning by police or investigators. Your lawyer will be able to preserve your rights, and ensure that police are operating under the confines of Wisconsin law.

Your lawyer will speak privately with you to get your side of the story. He or she will probably ask you several questions, including what led up to the incident and your version of events as the incident was occurring.

Your lawyer can go with you to your arraignment, and he or she can enter your plea when the judge asks if you plead innocent or guilty. Your domestic battery defense attorney might also be able to negotiate with the prosecution to get you the best possible outcome.

If your case goes to trial, your attorney will be there to argue on your behalf.

Do You Need to Talk to an Attorney About False Allegations of Domestic Abuse in Wisconsin?

If you’ve been falsely accused of domestic battery, or any other type of crime, get in touch with our attorneys at 414-383-6700 right away. We may be able to help you clear your name. Call us today or contact us online for free consultation.

Carlos Gamino