Expedited Naturalization for Spouses of Service Members - Carlos Gamino

By Carlos Gamino

If you’re the spouse of a military service member – or if you’re a military service member with a foreign national spouse – your family might qualify for expedited naturalization. Here’s what you need to know.

What is Expedited Naturalization?

Expedited naturalization makes some people exempt from some of the regular naturalization requirements that others have to meet. It can allow a couple to live together abroad rather than being separated for several years because it waives certain physical presence and residency requirements.

Expedited Naturalization for Spouses of Service Members

As a military spouse, you may be able to apply for naturalization under INA 319(b) if you:

  • Are married to a U.S. citizen military service member
  • Are 18 or older
  • Are authorized to accompany your spouse abroad through your spouse’s official orders
  • Be present in the U.S. as a lawful permanent resident by the time you have your naturalization interview
  • Are present in the U.S. at the time of your naturalization
  • Declare in good faith that you have the intent to reside abroad with your spouse, and to reside in the U.S. as soon as your spouse’s service abroad is over
  • Be able to read, write and speak basic English
  • Have a basic knowledge of U.S. government and U.S. history
  • Have been, and continue to be, a person of good moral character who is attached to the principles of the U.S. Constitution, and you must be well-disposed to the “good order and happiness of the U.S. during all relevant periods under law”

If you’re on your active-duty spouse’s PCS orders, you can get in touch with the Military Help Line or work through a Milwaukee immigration attorney to apply.

Are You a Military Spouse Who Needs Expedited Naturalization?

If you’re the spouse of a military service member who is also a U.S. citizen, we may be able to help you through the expedited naturalization process. Call us at 414-383-6700 to schedule your consultation now.

Carlos Gamino