By Carlos Gamino

If your parole (extended supervision) agent believes that you violated a condition of your supervision, they may issue a warrant against you. That warrant authorizes your arrest, and when the police pick you up, you’ll be held in jail until the situation is resolved. The first thing you need to know about parole / extended supervision violations is that you have the right to legal counsel; that means you may hire an attorney to represent you.

With that said, you still have rights – even if your parole or extended supervision officer believes you violated the conditions of your parole.

Everything You Need to Know About Parole Violations in Wisconsin

In the state of Wisconsin, parole may also be called extended supervision. The Wisconsin Department of Corrections overseas extended supervision, which allows convicted offenders to live in their communities while checking in with an official from time to time and completing certain tasks. If you are on extended supervision, you only complete your sentence (the sentence a judge gave you after the state convicted you of a crime) after you have completed your extended supervision, as well As any jail time or prison time you were sentenced to serve.

While you’re on extended supervision, you may be required to meet certain conditions, such as attending alcohol or substance abuse treatment programs, staying away from certain people, Or performing a specific amount of community service. Make no mistake: if you fail to meet these conditions, your parole officer may find that you have violated parole.

Related: What is disorderly conduct?

What Happens if You Violate Parole or Extended Supervision?

If you violate the conditions of your parole, your parole officer can have a warrant issued for your arrest. In that case, you may lose your parole – and that means you go back to prison.

Generally speaking, it’s best to have an attorney’s guidance if you’re accused of violating your probation, parole, or extended supervision. Your attorney can help preserve your rights and may be able to help you avoid revocation of your parole, probation, or extended supervision. Though no attorney can guarantee a specific result in any case, many people find that working with an attorney helps them get the best possible outcome.

Related: What crimes are considered violent felonies in Wisconsin?

Do You Need to Talk to an Attorney About Parole Violations?

If your parole officer has accused you of violating your probation, parole, or extended supervision, we may be able to help you avoid revocation period call our office at 414-383-6700 now to schedule a free consultation with an experienced attorney who can give you the legal guidance you need.

Attorney Carlos Gamino