Escaping an Abusive Spouse through Immigration - Gamino Law Offices, LLC

Abuse statistics tell a horrifying story: many victims of abuse who are married to a US citizen or permanent resident feel like they’re trapped and unable to get the help they so desperately need. Fortunately, there is more than one way to escape an abusive marital relationship – and one of those ways is through legal immigration. A talented Milwaukee immigration lawyer can help you file the appropriate paperwork and give you a nudge on the path to your own U.S. residency.

How Are Abused Spouses Eligible for Permanent Residency?

If you’re married to a US citizen or a legal permanent resident – or if you’ve divorced due to the abuse within the last two years – you may be eligible to file for permanent residency. Additionally, the abuse must have occurred either here in the US or abroad while he or she was employed by the government or US uniformed services.

You also must have entered into your marriage in good faith (you married with the expectation of staying married and did marry with the purpose of gaining citizenship) and you must have lived with your spouse. In addition, you must be deemed “of good moral character.”

How Abused Spouses Apply for US Residency

In most cases, it’s best to have an attorney walk you through the process. Because immigration forms can be complex and may vary across agencies, a lawyer can make sure that everything is filled out correctly and that it ends up in front of the appropriate authorities. At the same time, your lawyer will help you understand what’s going on and notify you when any progress has been made in your case.

Work with Attorneys Who Care

At Gamino Law Offices, LLC we understand where you’re coming from. It’s our mission to help abused spouses escape difficult situations however we can. Call us at (414) 383-6700 or send us a message; your communication will be completely confidential, and you can file for residency without your abuser even knowing that you’ve done so.