How to Coordinate a Parenting Time Agreement - Carlos Gamino

By Carlos Gamino

When you’re going through a divorce, it’s common knowledge that it’s best to work with your spouse rather than against him or her – especially when developing a parenting time agreement.

Why It’s Important to Agree With Your Spouse on Parenting Time

If you cannot agree with your spouse, the judge will have to decide on who gets physical placement and visitation times.

While Milwaukee and Waukesha judges try their best to remain fair and impartial when awarding custody and visitation time, only you and your spouse know what is actually best for your family. That means you are the two most qualified people to make decisions regarding where your kids spend most of their time.

But where do you even begin?

How to Create a Parenting Time Agreement With Your Ex

First, talk to your soon-to-be ex-spouse about what your children would prefer – and what you would prefer.

Ask yourselves:

  • Is one of you more capable of providing 24-hour care to your children?
  • Does one of you have a more flexible work schedule that allows for extracurricular activities and shuttling the kids back and forth to school?
  • Will one of you be retaining your marital home, where your children have already established themselves?
  • Which one of you will be moving, and will you have enough space for the children to live with you on a more permanent basis?
  • How do your children feel about the divorce, and what would their preferences be if they could choose which parent to live with?

It can be extremely difficult to reach an agreement with your spouse, particularly during a time when emotions are running high (such as during divorce), but remember that the end goal is to be the best possible parents you can be for your children. They need you to make these important decisions wisely – and with their best interests at heart.

Do You Need to Talk to an Attorney in Milwaukee About Child Placement and Parenting Time?

If you’re contemplating divorce, or if your spouse has already filed for divorce, call us right away 414-383-6700 for a free consultation with a divorce lawyer. We can help you develop a parenting time agreement that you and your spouse can agree on (and that works best for you and your family).

Carlos Gamino