Citizenship for Military Family Members - Carlos Gamino

By Carlos Gamino

The U.S. government has a set of specific rules for military family members seeking citizenship. Spouses and children can apply for U.S. citizenship based solely on their relationship with the service member, as long as they meet all the requirements – but when it comes to military families, the requirements are a little different. It may be a good idea for you to talk to a Milwaukee immigration attorney who can answer your questions and give you case-specific legal advice.

Residency Requirements

Military family members with a green card can count overseas posting time toward the residency requirements for citizenship. That means if your spouse is ordered to move overseas, such as to Germany or Japan, and you accompany him or her, you can count that time toward the residency requirements.

Expedited Naturalization

Spouses of service members can sometimes be eligible for expedited naturalization. In order to apply for expedited naturalization, you must:

  • Be over the age of 18
  • Prove that your spouse is a U.S. citizen who is, or will be, stationed abroad as a member of the military
  • Be a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. at the time of your application interview
  • Be present in the U.S. at the time of your naturalization
  • Declare in good faith that you intend to reside abroad with your spouse and that you intend to reside in the U.S. as soon as your spouse’s time of service abroad is over
  • Be able to read, write and speak English
  • Have basic knowledge of U.S. history and the U.S. government
  • Be a person of “good moral character” who’s attached to the principles of the U.S. Constitution

Do You Need to Talk to an Immigration Lawyer?

If you have questions about immigrating to the U.S., we may be able to help you. Call us at 414-383-6700 or get in touch with us online to schedule an appointment with an immigration lawyer today.

Carlos Gamino