By Attorney Carlos Gamino

Disorderly Conduct for Fighting – Attorney Carlos Gamino
Drunk people are fighting in a pub.

Disorderly conduct is a very common charge in Wisconsin. It’s not always confined to larger cities like Milwaukee and Waukesha, either – it happens in every small town in the state.

But what happens if you’re charged with disorderly conduct for fighting in Wisconsin? Can you fight the charges, will you go to jail, and do you have to pay fines? Here’s what you need to know.

What Happens if You’re Charged With Disorderly Conduct for Fighting?

Usually, disorderly conduct for fighting (or for any other reason) is a Class B misdemeanor. It’s typically punishable by up to 90 days in jail and a $1,000 fine – but when you’re charged with disorderly conduct in conjunction with another crime, such as being a felon in possession of a firearm, committing a property crime or trespassing, you’ll face additional criminal penalties.

Related: Does my child need a lawyer?

Disorderly Conduct and Fighting

Wisconsin law defines disorderly conduct this way: “Whoever, in a public or private place, engages in violent, abusive, indecent, profane, boisterous, unreasonably loud or otherwise disorderly conduct under circumstances in which the conduct tends to cause or provoke a disturbance is guilty of a Class B misdemeanor.”

That means even if you don’t get into a big physical altercation (such as when you and another person simply get into a pushing match – or, in some cases, even a shouting match), the state can charge you with and convict you of disorderly conduct for fighting.

Related: Is it a crime to get into a bar fight?

What to Do if You’re Arrested for Disorderly Conduct

If you’re arrested for disorderly conduct, or if someone you care about is sitting in jail right now, it’s probably a good idea to get in touch with a disorderly conduct attorney who can help.

What About Wisconsin Uniform Misdemeanor Citations?

Sometimes police give out Wisconsin Uniform Misdemeanor Citations. They seem like ordinary tickets, but they’re not. They’re actually a notification that you’ve been charged with a crime, and you’ll need to appear in court on the date listed on the citation. If you don’t show up in court, the judge overseeing your case will issue a warrant for your arrest.

We may be able to help you if you were charged with disorderly conduct for fighting. Call us as soon as you can – we’re at 414-383-6700. We’ll ask you questions about your situation (and we’ll answer your questions), and if we decide to work together, our team will develop a strategy that gets you the best possible outcome.

Attorney Carlos Gamino