Can You Return to the U.S. After Deportation - Carlos Gamino

By Carlos Gamino

Hundreds of people are removed from the U.S. each month, but deportation isn’t always permanent. In some cases, people who have been deported are allowed to return – but that’s not always how it works out. If you wish to return to the U.S. after deportation, you may need to talk to a Milwaukee immigration lawyer who can answer your questions and put you back on track to come to the U.S.

Can You Return to the U.S. After Deportation?

Some people can never return to the U.S. after deportation. Those who are barred permanently (such as those convicted of aggravated felonies and those who have returned to the country after having been deported) are not supposed to come back, although many can apply for a waiver of inadmissibility after 10 years have passed.

Some people are barred for five, 10 or 20 years, which depends on why they were deported or removed. Statistically, most deportees are barred for 10 years.

You can’t “reverse” your deportation, although in very rare cases, people can ask to have their cases reopened or reconsidered. If you have been deported and wish to return to the U.S., you’ll have to start from scratch.

For most people, it makes sense to work with a Milwaukee immigration attorney who can file the right paperwork for your case. Your lawyer will need to know:

  • Why you were removed from the U.S. in the first place
  • How long ago you were removed
  • What conditions may make you eligible for readmission
  • Whether you have “favorable factors,” such as having close family ties in the U.S. who are experiencing hardship that you can help, whether you have rehabilitated, and how long you had been in the U.S. legally before you were removed

Do You Need to Talk to a Milwaukee Immigration Attorney?

If you’d like to talk to a Milwaukee immigration attorney who may be able to help you, call us at 414-383-6700 to schedule a consultation where we’ll answer your questions and help you start moving forward. You can also reach us online.

Carlos Gamino