Can You Get Sex Crimes Off Your Record - Wisconsin Sex Crime Defense Lawyer

By Carlos Gamino

If you’re convicted of a sex crime in Wisconsin, you need to know that you’ll likely be required to register a sex offender for a prescribed amount of time. The amount of time you must register depends on the crime the court convicted you of committing.

If you’re accused of committing this type of crime, it’s absolutely essential that you talk to a Wisconsin sex crime lawyer as soon as possible. Doing so can help you get the best possible outcome on your case.

You also need to know that a sex crime conviction will most likely stick with you forever.

Who Has to Register as a Sex Offender in Wisconsin?

Most, but not all, sex crimes require sex offender registration in the state of Wisconsin.

As we’ve discussed before, the sex offender registry includes a significant amount of information on those listed – and failure to register when you’ve been ordered to do so is also a crime that can result in jail time.

Can You Get Sex Crimes off Your Criminal Record?

For the most part, sex crimes cannot be expunged or sealed in the state of Wisconsin. However, there may be exceptions, such as if you were a minor at the time of the crime. No two cases are alike, so it’s important to talk to your attorney about your situation.

What to Do if You’re Charged With a Sex Crime in Wisconsin

The first thing you need to do if you’re accused of a sex crime is get in touch with a Milwaukee sex crime lawyer who is familiar with state laws and has dealt with these types of cases before.

Generally, it’s best to work with a lawyer even if you are completely innocent. Anything you tell investigators can be used against you, even if it’s a misrepresentation of what you actually said.

You don’t have to talk to anyone without consulting your lawyer first; that is your constitutional right.

Do You Need Help With Sex Crime Charges?

If you need help, get in touch with our Wisconsin sex crime defense lawyers as soon as possible. Call us at 414-383-6700 or contact us online right away. The sooner we hear about your case, the sooner we can begin building a strategy to get you the best possible outcome.

Carlos Gamino