By Carlos Gamino

Can I Send My Child to Juvenile Detention - Carlos Gamino

Juvenile detention centers – which are a bit like jail for minors, where children are supervised and kept in a regulated environment – are part of the Wisconsin criminal justice system. In Wisconsin, there are Type 1 and Type 2 juvenile correctional facilities. Each has its own purpose, and they’re designed to be used in sentencing. In other words, minors who commit crimes and move through the criminal justice system can be sentenced to spend time at one of Wisconsin’s juvenile detention centers.

Can I Send My Child to Juvenile Detention?

Parents cannot voluntarily send a child to a state juvenile detention facility. They’re only used through the court systems. However, some desperate parents use “scared straight” programs and “boot camps” to try to rehabilitate their kids. These programs exist, but they’re not the types of things that judges really order.

Related: When can minors be tried as adults in Wisconsin?

These types of programs have been subject to numerous studies, and usually, the results aren’t flattering. The arrest rate after official Scared Straight programs is actually higher than it is for teens who never participate in these programs. Many studies show that these types of interventions are ineffective – and worse, many of them are harmful for children who engage in delinquent behaviors.

Really, experts believe that these types of programs fail for the reason they’re supposed to succeed. Teens who are exposed to the structure they discover exists in prisons and boot camps actually crave it.

Related: Wisconsin CHIPS, JIPS and juvenile delinquency attorneys

What Are Wisconsin’s Juvenile Detention Facilities?

Wisconsin has Type 1 and Type 2 juvenile detention facilities.

Type 1 facilities uses physical security mechanisms, like fences and locked doors. The Type 1 juvenile correctional facilities here are:

  • Lincoln Hills School (boys)
  • Copper Lake School (girls)
  • Mendota Juvenile Treatment Center

Type 2 facilities are those considered “institutions without walls.” They’re still correctional facilities, but they’re less like jails and are reserved for different types of offenses or youth who have displayed good behavior in Type 1 facilities.

Related: Help! My child was arrested!

Do You Need a Juvenile Criminal Defense Attorney?

If your child has gotten into trouble, it’s important that he or she has caring, compassionate representation. Your child’s attorney can help ensure that your child gets a fair trial – and, if necessary, the treatment he or she needs. Call us to tell us what happened. We’re available at 414-383-6700, and we’ll be happy to provide you with a free consultation today.

Attorney Carlos Gamino