Can a Lawyer Get You Off Probation - Carlos Gamino

By Carlos Gamino

If you’re like many people, you figure that being on probation is better than being in jail – but not being on probation is better than being on probation, isn’t it? You may have even wondered if a lawyer can get you off probation so you can be done with it and move on with your life.

Here’s what you need to know.

Can a Lawyer Get You Off Probation?

Some people can get off probation early, before they’ve completed their entire sentence. In order to get off probation, you must have:

  • Completed at least half of your probation term. For example, if you were sentenced to a year of probation, you must have completed at least 6 months of it.
  • Satisfied all the conditions of probation set by both the court that sentenced you and the Department of Corrections. If you were ordered to attend counseling or complete community service, for example, you must have done those things.
  • Fulfilled all your financial obligations related to your case. That might include restitution to the victim, court costs and fees, fines, fees and other expenses.
  • No outstanding warrants. If you have a warrant out for your arrest, you’re not going to get off probation – even with an attorney’s help.

If you’ve satisfied all the conditions of your probation and completed at least half your sentence, you may want to call a criminal defense attorney who can help. In some cases, lawyers can file a motion to terminate a person’s probation.

It’s really important to remember that there’s no way to predict how a judge will rule, but you can do a few things to show the judge that you’re responsible enough to come off probation. Those things might include working toward educational milestones, such as the completion of a high school equivalency program or enrollment in college courses, performing volunteer work, getting and holding a job, or doing other things that show you’re investing in yourself and the community.

Do You Need to Talk to a Lawyer About Getting Off Probation?

If you’re working through probation and want to find out if there’s a way you can wrap up your sentence early, we may be able to help you. Call us at 414-383-6700 for a free consultation. We’ll be happy to talk to you about your options. Carlos Gamino