Wisconsin Retail Theft Criminal Defense Attorney in Milwaukee
Retail theft offenses in Wisconsin are crimes that can subject you to significant consequences. For example, you may face a shoplifting charge if you take or retain goods held for resale. You could also be charged with retail theft if you alter the price or conceal merchandise. Therefore, if the state brings criminal charges against you for retail theft in Milwaukee, or elsewhere in Wisconsin, you need strong representation. A Wisconsin criminal defense attorney in Milwaukee from Gamino Law Offices, LLC will provide an experienced defense to stealing offenses, including shoplifting.
- Free Initial Consultations With Retail Theft Defense Lawyers in Milwaukee, WI
- Flat Fee Agreements and Payment Plans Available
- Hablamos Español – scroll down to change language
Wisconsin Shoplifting Charges
Wisconsin law defines retail theft, cited in part below, as follows:
– alters indicia of price or value of merchandise held for resale by a merchant or property of a merchant.
– takes and carries away merchandise held for resale by a merchant or property of a merchant.
– transfers merchandise held for resale by a merchant or property of a merchant.
– conceals merchandise held for resale by a merchant or property of a merchant.
– retains possession of merchandise held for resale by a merchant or property of a merchant.
While anywhere in the merchant’s store, intentionally removes a theft detection device from merchandise held for resale by a merchant or property of a merchant.
Uses, or possesses with intent to use, a theft detection:
– shielding device to shield merchandise held for resale by a merchant or property of merchant from being detected by an electronic or magnetic theft alarm sensor.Wisconsin Statute § 943.50
– device remover to remove a theft detection device from merchandise held for resale by a merchant or property of a merchant.
If, having obtained a service from a service provider, he or she, without the service provider’s consent and with intent to deprive the service provider permanently of the full price of the service, absconds and intentionally fails or refuses to pay for the service.
The jury instructions provide that in Wisconsin, a person charged with retail theft may be convicted if:
1. The defendant intentionally altered the indicated price, value of, took and carried away, transferred, concealed, or retained possession of merchandise.Wisconsin JI-Criminal 1498.
2. The merchandise was held for resale by a merchant.
3. The defendant knew that the property involved was merchandise held for resale by a merchant.
4. The merchant did not consent to altering the indicated price, value of, taking and carrying away, transferring, concealing, or retaining possession of the merchandise.
5. The defendant knew that the merchant did not consent.
6. The defendant intended to deprive the merchant permanently of possession, or any portion of the purchase price, of the merchandise.
What are the penalties for shoplifting in Milwaukee, or elsewhere in Wisconsin:
Penalties for shoplifting or retail theft in Wisconsin depend on the value of the stolen items. Specifically, if the value of the stolen property is
- less than or does not exceed $2,500, the theft is a Class A Misdemeanor.
- $2,501 – $5,000, the theft is a Class I Felony.
- $5,001 – $10,000, the theft is a Class H Felony.
- $10,000 or more, the theft is a Class G Felony.
Why hire our Milwaukee criminal defense lawyer to represent you?
In conclusion, we’re on a mission. Specifically, we want your attorney to be the best Wisconsin criminal defense lawyer in Milwaukee, and all Wisconsin. In particular, we guard you, your rights, your reputation, your job, your future, and your freedom! Hence, if police arrest you for shoplifting in Milwaukee, or anywhere in Wisconsin, call us right away. Also, if you face investigation or charges in Wisconsin for any criminal offense, including retail theft, tell police you want an attorney. Demand to see your lawyer before you talk with police. In summary, early intervention by an experienced criminal defense lawyer in Milwaukee makes all the difference in the outcome of a criminal case in Wisconsin.
Of course, not all criminal lawyers in Wisconsin have great trial skills. Similarly, not every Wisconsin criminal attorney will present a compelling case in court. Moreover, lawyers have differing abilities to negotiate a favorable plea agreement. However, our team of accomplished criminal trial and appellate attorneys demonstrate an impressive record of winning litigation skills. Above all, we work to achieve results for our clients. Further, we excel in criminal litigation – from pretrial motions to court or jury trials, and appeals. In conclusion, with decades of combined experience, we have the knowledge and aggressive ability to get the results you need.
Finally, for more information about a Wisconsin criminal defense attorney in Milwaukee representing clients facing shoplifting charges, or about any of our other legal services available, please contact us today! Also, Click here for links to Wisconsin courts, jail inmate locators, and other Wisconsin criminal law info.