Are You Entitled to Alimony - Wisconsin Alimony Lawyer

By Carlos Gamino

If you’re going through a divorce in Waukesha, Milwaukee, or any of the surrounding communities, Wisconsin law says that you may be entitled to receive alimony.

Not everyone fits the bill; divorce doesn’t automatically mean that you’re entitled to money from your spouse. (Child support is a completely different issue, though.)

What is Alimony?

Alimony, which Wisconsin law calls spousal maintenance, is a payment from one spouse to another to help the other get on his or her feet after divorce.

Either spouse can request spousal maintenance in the state of Wisconsin, and in many cases, people don’t even need the courts to step in and decide. Some people are able to agree on the amount and duration of alimony payments on their own.

If you and your spouse can agree on alimony, let your Wisconsin divorce lawyer know; your attorney can put together a marital settlement agreement.

If you can’t agree, the court will decide whether to award any alimony, the dollar amount, and how long the payments will continue.

How Much Alimony Could You Get?

There’s no formula for determining alimony in the state of Wisconsin. However, the courts use several factors to determine a fair amount, including:

  • The length of the marriage
  • How old each spouse is
  • Each spouse’s physical health
  • Each spouse’s mental health
  • How your marital property and individual property has been divided

Do You Need to Talk to a Waukesha Divorce Lawyer About Alimony?

While only a judge can order alimony payments, your attorney can help you figure out how much alimony you should ask for if you and your spouse haven’t already reached an agreement. (You can also use our Wisconsin alimony calculator to figure out how much money you had when you were married versus how much you’ll have once you’re divorced.)

Call us at 414-383-6700 for your free consultation with a divorce lawyer. We’ll fight hard to protect you and your children during divorce — and if you need alimony, we’ll help you petition the court for it.

Carlos Gamino