By Carlos Gamino

Many companies need to hire nonimmigrant workers for temporary jobs – jobs that there just aren’t enough Americans to fill. But where do you even begin if you want to lawfully hire immigrants? This guide explains how to get visas for nonimmigrant workers at your company.

Visas for Nonimmigrant Workers: Classifications

Nonimmigrant workers need sponsors – they can’t simply come to the U.S. and start working. That means if you want to hire a nonimmigrant, temporary worker, your company needs to petition the United States government for visas. Many professionals choose to work with a Wisconsin immigration attorney to do so.

There are several types of nonimmigrant visas, which the following table outlines. You must hire a worker who fits into one of these visa categories.

Nonimmigrant ClassificationDescription
CW-1CNMI-only transitional worker
E-1Treaty traders and qualified employees
E-2 and E-2CTreaty investors and qualified employees, and long-term foreign investors in the CNMI
E-3Some specialty occupation professionals from Australia
H-1B1, H-1B2 and H-1B3Free Trade Agreement workers in specialty occupations from Chile and Singapore; specialty occupations related to Department of Defense research and development projects; fashion models of “distinguished merit and ability.”
H-1CRegistered nurses who work in an area with a health professional shortage
H-2A and H-2BTemporary or seasonal agricultural workers and temporary non-agricultural workers
H-3Trainees in fields unrelated to medicine or academics
IWorkers in the foreign press, radio, film or other media
L-1A and L-1BIntracompany transferees
O-1 and O-2People with extraordinary ability in the sciences, education, the arts, business, or athletics, as well as TV production, and the people who support them
P-1A and P-1BInternationally recognized athletes and entertainers, as well as members of internationally recognized entertainment groups
P-2 and P-3Performers who are participating under a reciprocal exchange program, as well as artists or entertainers who are going to perform, teach or coach under a culturally unique program
Q-1People participating in an international cultural exchange program
R-1Religious workers
TNNAFTA temporary professionals who are from Canada or Mexico

Do You Need to Talk to an Attorney About Getting Visas for Nonimmigrant Workers at Your Company?

Bringing in foreign workers can be a complex process, and it’s one that requires your company to stick to the letter of the law. If you want to get visas for nonimmigrant workers at your company, you can benefit from working with a skilled and knowledgeable attorney. Call our office at 414-383-6700 to schedule a consultation with a professional now.

Attorney Carlos Gamino