By Carlos Gamino

If you’re an employer who wants to sponsor a foreign worker to become a permanent resident, there are a few steps you need to take. Many employers choose to work with a Wisconsin immigration attorney because the process can be complicated. With that said, here’s what you need to know.

How Can My Company Sponsor a Foreign Worker to Become a Permanent Resident?

The first thing you should do is consult with an attorney. U.S. immigration law is notoriously complicated, and doing the wrong thing could land you in hot water with the government.

Generally, your attorney will help you apply for permanent labor certification through the U.S. Department of Labor to kick off the process. When the Department of Labor approves your labor certification, your attorney will fill out and file Form I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker, on behalf of the person you want to hire. (Your workers can’t fill out and file their own petitions – the government requires your company to do it.)

Related: All about work visas

What Workers Can Your Company File For?

You can sponsor a prospective or current employee who’s already in the U.S. or one who’s outside the country. The person must likely be able to qualify under one or more of the following employment-based immigrant visa categories:

  • EB-1 priority workers
  • EB-2 professionals with advanced degrees or people with exceptional ability
  • EB-3 professional or skilled workers
  • EB-4 special immigrants

Do You Need to Talk to an Attorney About How Your Company Can Sponsor a Foreign Worker to Become a Permanent Resident?

It may benefit you to work with an attorney to file for immigrant visas for your workers. Your attorney can help simplify the process for you by handling the heavy lifting. If you’d like to set up a consultation with an experienced immigration professional, call our office at 414-383-6700. We’ll be happy to give you the guidance you need.

Attorney Carlos Gamino