By Carlos Gamino

In the state of Wisconsin, police are allowed to question minors. In some cases, police have to get parental consent first; in others, the police may simply arrest or question a child without their parents knowledge. Regardless of the situation, children – like adults – are entitled to legal representation. If your child is in trouble, you have the right to contact an attorney who can represent them.

Can Police Question Your Child if You’re Not Present?

In some cases, it’s legal for the police to question a child without that child’s parents or legal guardians present. However, those circumstances are limited, and if the police do not follow the proper protocol, they can find themselves in trouble.

Related: Juvenile delinquency in Wisconsin

What Rights Do Children Have for Police Questioning?

Just like adults, children have the right to legal representation, as well as the right to avoid incriminating themselves. Additionally, children have the right to remain silent and to have parents or an attorney present when they’re being questioned by the police. If you have a minor child, you should let them know that they can, and should, request that their parents be notified immediately when the police attempt to question them. You should also let your minor child know that they may request an attorney before answering any questions.

Related: The most common juvenile crimes (and what to do if your child is in trouble)

Do You Need to Talk to an Attorney About a Juvenile Offense?

If your child has been accused of a crime, we may be able to help. Call our office now at 414-383-6700 or get in touch with us online to schedule a free juvenile criminal defense consultation. Whether or not the police have questioned your child, they have rights – and we may be able to help preserve them.

Attorney Carlos Gamino