By Carlos Gamino

In the state of Wisconsin, parents typically have the right to raise their children however they feel is right. However, in some cases, grandparents have the right to visit their grandkids – even when one or both of the children’s parents don’t agree. Under Wisconsin law, grandparents (and some other people) are entitled to visitation.

Can Grandparents Get Visitation Rights in Wisconsin?

In some cases, grandparents are entitled to visitation rights with their grandchildren. However, this doesn’t apply in all situations, and if you are a grandparent who wants visitation rights, you may need to go to court to get them.

But there’s a catch: If your grandparent who wants visitation with their grandchildren, it’s up to you to prove to the court that the children’s parents’ decision to deny you access runs counter to the children’s best interest. In plain English, it’s your job to prove that your grandkids’ parents are wrong for not letting you spend time with your grandchildren.

Parents deny visitation with grandparents for a wide range of reasons, but it’s up to you to show that spending time with you is what’s best for your grandkids. For example, if your child is deceased and their spouse won’t let you spend time with your grandchildren – provided that you already have an established relationship with them – you may be able to show the judge that you have a right to visitation.

Related: Do you have to continue paying alimony if your ex remarries?

What Kind of Visitation Rights Can You Get?

If you can show the court that time with you is in your grandkids’ best interest, the court may choose to grant you reasonable visitation rights. Naturally, “reasonable” is subjective. Though you may want to spend time with your grandchildren every weekend and for a few weeks out of the summer, that may not be reasonable in your case.

Related: How to terminate someone’s parental rights in Wisconsin

Do You Need to Talk to an Attorney About Grandparents’ Visitation Rights?

If you are seeking visitation rights with your grandchildren, we may be able to help you. Our experienced family law attorneys we’ll be happy to provide you with the guidance and legal advice you need. Just call our office at 414-383-6700 for a free consultation now.

Attorney Carlos Gamino